Sunday, March 28, 2010

Why Not?

While on the cruise, we toured the spa.  I decided to get acupuncture to see if it would help with headaches, neck tension, trouble sleeping, and motion sickness. 
About half of the needles hurt going in, and most of them hurt before she was finished pushing them in deep enough.  Before we signed up for the procedure, the accupuncturist said that it wouldn't hurt.  She even put a needle into Rob's arm and he said he didn't feel it at all, so I was surprised when I arrived at my appointment and it did!  I guess I should have known better.  Me + Needles = Pain.  Duh!
There were a total of 20 needles sticking out of me!  They stayed in for 30 minutes while I relaxed - sort of.  It was a very strange sensation.  It took probably 10 minutes for me to really relax, but once I did it was amazing.  It seriously felt like there was liquid flowing through my body, going up my left side then down the right.  I tried to change the direction of this "fluid" in my head, thinking it was just my mind playing tricks on me or something but I couldn't change the direction!  It was really, really strange.  Then (simultaneously) it felt like my head was liquifying, pooling into the headrest.  It was so strange.  When she came back into the room to take the needles out I just wanted her to go away because I was so relaxed!
Are all my problems solved?  Not hardly.  If anything, my headaches, motion sickness and neck tension got worse for the next 24 hours, and it seems like since then everything is pretty much the same as before the acupuncture.  The acupuncturist said multiple sessions were recommended, but that would have cost too much.  The one session was worth a try, though, and I don't regret doing it!

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Glad you got these great pictures. I have to admit it didn't hurt me when I had it done. I thought it was kind of cool.