Thursday, February 20, 2014

Common Core: How I began my journey of discovery

About six months ago I realized I couldn't keep putting off learning about Common Core.  I was seeing a lot about it - both in support and in opposition of it - and decided I'd better get in the game and study the facets and evaluate for myself how it would impact me, my family, and our society.  In my first real step of discovery, I invited a young woman I know and trust who had spent several months studying Common Core (with a group of friends and then having discussion groups with them about it) to come into my home to explain her findings to me and anyone else that was interested in learning more.  There were about 25 people at that first meeting that began the opening of my eyes.   

How on earth can I write a blog post or two that summarizes six months of studying every day about a subject?  The task is daunting, which is why I've put it off this long.  However, I have decided to attempt a summary at this point so my voice can be more widely heard and so that many of the articles I've come across can be in one place for those that want to know why I feel so strongly about Common Core.  Much of what I include will be quotes by other people who have already said what I would say.


Facebook status by Jen Sanchez that hits the nail on the head: 
 7 Principles for Family-Friendly Education Policy:
1) Does it honor the parents' natural right to direct the education of their own children?
2) Have you asked the parents?
(Would parents voluntarily opt-IN?)
3) Who is asking for this?
(The interests of business, government, or any other groups are secondary to the rights of the parent as the primary customer and consumer of educational services for their children.)
4) Local control... or central planning?
(Does it support a local/parent-oriented education model, or a more centralized model?)
5) What are the unintended consequences for families?
(What adverse impact could the proposed legislation/policy/new government powers have on individuals and families, now and in the future?)
6) Does it strengthen or weaken parent/child relationships?
7) Does it protect individuals' natural and enumerated rights, per our founding documents?
(Does it protect, for example, the Constitutional right to privacy?)

While leaning about Common Core you'll discover that it does not meet ANY of the criteria listed above. I'm pretty sure most of the people I know want these 7 things, but maybe haven't considered CC in this light before. Take a minute to look at the list, then take as much time as it takes to study CC and decide for yourself if you are satisfied with the whole picture - not just one or two pieces of the puzzle.

“However tame or outrageous you may find the current Common Core curriculum to be at the moment is utterly beside the point. Once every state educational system and local school board is forced to conform to one federal standard … then indoctrination will begin: once it's the law, once it's everywhere, once it's mandatory. What could possibly go wrong??” -Bill Whittle

No comments: