Sunday, February 14, 2010

Loving the Library!

On Saturday, while Rob was home with Avery, I took the other three kids to the library.  We perused the shelves for books we were interested in and spent a little time reading there.  Unfortunately, the library closes at 6:00 on Saturdays, so we couldn't stay as long as we would have liked.
 
Alex recently found he has a love of reading!  (Yeah!!!!) I've had a hard time even getting him to listen to books up until now, much less read on his own, so when he checked out his first "Magic Tree House" book (by Mary Pope Osborne) and read the entire chapter book in one evening, I tried not to get too excited.  Incidentally, this was the first chapter book he read.  Since then, he has read several Magic Tree House books as well as picture books and other books, too.  I'm so, so happy be has found how interesting books can be.
  
 (Above) Olivia started reading the novel she chose, but didn't get too far.  She wanted to follow me around upstairs, where I was looking for American history books.  She also chose some books about volcanoes because she thinks they're interesting.
(Below) Ashlie checked out another Harry Potter book on tape - even though she has read them already.  She LOVES the Harry Potter series.  She also got a couple of DVDs on ancient Rome and Greece and some other books I didn't pay attention to.
  
Alex simply could not wait until we were done at the check-out desk before finding a spot to read some more.  I think it's so cute!
 
The problem with the library is that I LOVE books.  Although I rarely actually sit down and read a book from cover to cover, I do LOVE reading and am interested in reading so many books that I always walk away with far more books than I can actually read before they're due.  I have a terrible time balancing reading books with keeping up with the rest of my life.  Once I start reading, I don't want to stop, so I end up not letting myself start reading.  I also have the problem of getting super sleepy when I read, so I want to read and then still have time for a nap!  And what mother has time for both?  And so I wind up feeling bad when I have to return books unread.  What a dilemma.  

1 comment:

Debbie said...

I love this post. It is so cool to see your kids developing this love of reading/books. You are a wonderful example to them and one day you'll get to read again. I was where you are once too and people didn't even know I enjoyed reading. There just wasn't enough time! I still have trouble at times, especially with the falling asleep part, but time also never seems to be qs (nurse talk for quantity sufficient).