Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Power Comes From Setting Our Priorities In Proper Order

The following notes are from a talk given by Julie B. Beck in our Regional Conference, May 2, 2010 on the Influence of a Righteous Woman.  I know my mom missed this because she was sick and I've talked to a couple of other people who said they wished they had taken notes, so I thought I'd share my notes for those who may be interested.

Sister Beck discussed how mothers are the "lionnesses at the gates of their homes".  She referred to the conference as an "Emergency Meeting".  She discussed setting our priorities in order by making sure we do the "essential" things.  The "necessary" and "nice" things follow the "essential" in order of importance.  

Essential: Personal Revelation
   a. Read scriptures
   b. Pray
   c. Ponder
   d. Fast
   e. Make and keep covenants
   f. Attend sacrament meeting
   g. Go to the temple

 Necessary: Home-Making
   a. Create a house of order
   b. Cooking
   c.  Make a place for the Lord's spirit to dwell
   d. Teach children to pray
   e.  Support and love your husband
   f. Value important, better things than those of the world
   g. Practice being self-reliant

Nice: Things that add variety but won't save us
   a. Hobbies
   b. Crafts
   c. Books
   d. Movies
   e. Lunch with friends

Sister Beck said many other wonderful things that I wasn't able to write down.  My wonderful friend and visiting teacher found this talk on the lds.org site!  Apparently she had also given this talk at Women's Conference at BYU.  If you'd like to read it in its entirety (you totally should), click here.


1 comment:

bildenspd said...

It is on lds.org now. Go to the RS tab.

I loved this talk!