Sunday, January 30, 2011

I'm sick of sickness!

I don't know what it is about Strep-throat, but it LOVES our family this year.

We've had strep 10 times this year! 
Rob            2x
Nat             1x
Ashlie          3x
Olivia          3x
Alex            0x
Avery          1x
 Grandpa        0x   

It seems like every time one person recovers, another one comes down with it.  I don't know what I'll do when I don't get to see my pharmacist every other week!  Although it is a real pain every time someone comes down with it, we are so grateful for antibiotics! 

An added complexity is that Rob has strep-induced psoriasis.  When he gets strep his psoriasis flares up, then it takes 6+ weeks to recover.  The last time he got strep was just before Thanksgiving and his entire body is still - 2 months later - covered with large, red, itchy sores.  I would estimate that 40% of his body is covered in red spots of skin that is regenerating at 6 times its normal rate. This "outbreak" is so much worse than the last time; I'm really worried about him getting strep again and I feel really bad for him because he's so uncomfortable and will likely live with this for the rest of his life.  His doctor said that the medicine to prevent him from getting strep is $300/month and insurance won't pay for it, so we have to settle with treating it.  And get this: the best way to get rid of the psoriasis is to increase sun exposure (or tanning), but Rob has already had tons of pre-cancer spots, so additional sun exposure may create another problem.

On that happy note, cross your fingers that strep will stay away for a while.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Oh, man - I hope it stays away. It seems some people are very susceptible and obviously others are resistant. When they all live in the same house and share everything, why do some of us avoid it completely. Very mysterious.

mIcHeLLe said...

that used to be us about 4-5 years ago...got the boy' tonsils out and it was like night and day difference in how often they are sick w/anything. Tonsils out was the best thing I have done for them (mean to say) :)
Juice actually needs his out for apnea problems...but is too chicken to get it done...I know...guys are babies! ;)

Aubrey Anne said...

Ugh! You guys have had the WORST luck this year! I'm sorry :( Alex zero times = tonsils out! We are sick of strep over here too, so if you find the answer, let me know!

Anonymous said...

Nin Jiom Pei Pa Koa (www.geocities.jp/ninjiom_hong_kong/index_e.htm) may be another solution to itchy throat. i know a lot of people use it, its also non alcoholic, though it's effectiveness is not as good as alcohol based cough medicine, but it's still good to use on not so serious itchy throat. Hope you are getting well soon!!!